Implant overdentures are replacement teeth held in by dental implants. They were developed to help patients with no teeth or who are missing some teeth to regain their quality of life.
Advantages of Overdentures
Some of the advantages of overdentures are cosmetic, but all of them affect your quality of life. In general, overdentures make patients happier and healthier than dentures. Take a look at just some of the advantages of overdentures.
- You can eat the foods you love. It can be hard to eat hard or chewy foods with conventional dentures, which are secured by adhesives. When you have overdentures that are retained by implants, you're able to eat more nutritious foods, improving your dietary health. You can also chew your food more completely, making digestion easier and allowing your body to absorb more nutrients.
- You can regain self-confidence. Overdentures stop your natural facial contours from deteriorating. Because overdentures keep bone alive and stimulated, they stop the shrinkage, also known as resorption, that occurs where your natural teeth have been lost. You also don't have to worry about the embarrassment of dislodging your dentures since overdentures are secured with implants.
- You can forget about adhesives. Overdentures don't require adhesives. If you already have conventional dentures, you know that adhesives, though sometimes convenient, don't really hold your dentures securely in place. Conventional dentures can become dislodged easily. They can also be messy and can affect the taste of food. All that mess and hassle is gone with implant-retained overdentures, which experience unmatched stability and retention. You'll also save on the cost of adhesive.
- You can experience improved quality of life. With overdentures that remain securely in your mouth, you instantly improve the appearance of your smile since you no longer need to worry about your dentures moving. Overdentures also improve both your chewing and your speech. They have an overall positive impact on all aspects of your psychological and physical health.
- You can prevent future bone loss. Overdentures use a medical-grade titanium implant. Through a process known as osseointegration, this titanium implant integrates with your living bone. By doing so, it slows and even stops the shrinkage of your jawbone that's common in patients with no or only partial teeth, helping preserve the bone for the future. Conventional dentures, in contrast, can increase the rate of bone loss because of the constant force that chewing puts on the gums.
Call us today for your free consultation, and let Dr. Csillag tell you if overdentures are the right choice for you.